Friday, November 19, 2010

Seconds of Style #15: Style Inspire 3

Style Inspire: Harriet
Age: 25
Occupation: Student
Loves: Handmade, sequins and interior design blogs.
Skirt from Zambesi, T-shirt from Supre, Belt from an op shop, Mckinlays Shoes
Pillows under table, LOWboy 1800 + Crates that the TV is on from Meluka , Tse&Tse 7 day vases on the coffee table from Tessuti
Prudence white round table From Apartmento, Skull votive from Iko Iko, Christian Tortu Nickle 'Tupi' vase  from Tessuti
Bunnies from Iko Iko
Handmade ceramic cup from Tessuti
CHESTYboy drawers from Meluka
The perfect mix of mainstream and high end: Nudie Jeans, Karen Walker top, Jacket from Supre, Sachi Shoes
Vintage Emerald Ring - Harriet's favorite accessory
My gorgeous friend Harriet graciously let me peek into her apartment and wardrobe the other day. I love her effortless yet 'put together' style and wanted to take a closer look.  We had a chat about her personal style for this weeks Style Inspire.

Seconds of Style: What or who inspires your style?
Harriet: Fashion-wise I look to other people rather than magazines for inspiration.  Being at Uni you see lots of unique looks, I walk past AUT's Art + Design faculty every day on my way to class.  Those fashion kids look amazing even at 8am on a Monday.  I like imperfections and quirks rather than glossy magazine images.  I check lookbook.nu if I'm feeling like I need a new way to wear what I've already got, you can search by item to see how other girls are styling similar pieces. Interiors-wise I'm a massive interior design blog reader.  I regularly check sweetsweetlife, youaremyfave, and myidealhome There are often great ideas for achieving a 'look for less', and craftiness aplenty.

SOS: What is the best advice you have been given about personal style:
H: My mum has always taught me to wear what makes you feel confident and comfortable, and to appreciate clever workmanship and quality fabrics.  And don't spend outside your budget, although I sometimes struggle with that one!
SOS: What is your everyday style?
H: Jeans and blazer, or bright block colour dresses.

SOS: Who is your favourite NZ designer? And international designer?
H: I love everything I have ever bought from Kate Sylvester, and regret not buying a few pieces I keep scouring trademe for.  My favourite new designer is Ingrid Starnes, for her clever workmanship and quality fabrics.  Internationally I love miumiu's unexpected colours and amazing detailing.

SOS: What's on your want list for SS11?
H: Specifically Ingrid Starnes' Panelled Pleat Dress in Crayfish, gelato-y colours have always been a weakness.  I'm also loving summery nude hue shoes to elongate the legs.

SOS: What's is your favourite piece:
H: My vintage emerald ring.  A very generous gift from a not-so-secret admirer, flown half way across the world from Argentina for Christmas.

SOS: Now onto interiors, how would you describe the process you go through when styling a room?
H: I choose something that I adore, and then work other pieces in from there.  Sometimes you have to rearrange the entire house to make one thing work, but it seems to come together in the end.  Everything in the apartment has a story - a gift, an amazing bargain I couldn't walk away without, or handed down from a family member.

SOS: What is your favourite piece in the apartment?
H: The black drawers satisfy my criteria - they were an amazing bargain on trademe and lovingly hand sanded by my boyfriend.  They were truly hideous blue and yellow to begin with but there was beauty lurking beneath.

SOS: What is your favourite room in the apartment?
H: The bedroom.  The light filtering through the trees is particularly beautiful at this time of year and its a lovely relaxing space to be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment